Victoria Smith and Pat Wright posted quick times to win the Southern Counties CU sporting 10-mile time trial on Saturday.
It would prove to be the start of a good weekend in the south of England for Pat Wright (Paceline RT), taking a convincing victory in the first of a Southern Counties CU double-header.
Starting 80th of a near-record field of 92, Wright set the benchmark at 21-55, the second fastest time ever recorded on the course and one he hoped would elevate him from 2018’s second place in less than pleasant conditions.
Wright’s time proved to be too good for the rest of the pack with the nearest other rider 42 seconds adrift.
Pat’s Paceline RT team-mate Andrew Bradbury was that rider but second place wasn’t all that bad. Bradbury’s time of 22-37 equalled his best finish since April 2018.
Marking a year to the day he captured his last open event victory, Sam Christy (London Dynamo) had to settle for completing the podium spots in third where a time of 23-06 gave him the edge over Nik Allen.
Victoria Smith (AeroCoach) returned to the track for the first time in 2019 in superb form, coming close to breaking the G10/46 course record on her way to the top spot.
The previous record of 24-42 set by Suzette Guerrini in 2014 came under serious threat but Smith fell six-seconds short, crossing the line in 24-48.
Smith was joined on the podium by Heather Mayer (CC London), only 14 seconds behind and Pip Jenkins (Southborough & District) who posted a 26-10 in third.
The team prize went to Paceline RT with a combined time of 1-08-40 thanks to Pat Wright, Andrew Bradbury and eighth place Gareth Thomas.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Jack Cudworth.
1. Pat Wright (Paceline RT) 21.55
2. Andrew Bradbury (Paceline RT) 22.37
3. Sam Christy (London Dynamo) 23.06
4. Nik Allen (Worthing Excelsior CC) 23.19
5. Mark Smith (Crawley Wheelers) 23.35
6. David Shepherd (a3crg) 24.02
7. Henry Eaton (Army CC) 24.04
8. Gareth Thomas (Paceline RT) 24.08
9. Tom Houghton (Brighton Excelsior CC) 24.14
10. Colin McDermott (Festival RC) 24.19
1. Victoria Smith (AeroCoach) 24.48
2. Heather Mayer (CC London) 25.02
3. Pip Jenkins (Southborough & District Wheelers) 26.10
Team: Paceline RT (Wright, Bradbury & Thomas) 1:08.40