Overall victory went to Sarah Lewthwaite and Hayden Allen at the Otley CC 10-mile time trial in North Yorkshire, where almost 150 riders tackled the V212 course from Boroughbridge to Walshford and back.
The event had attracted 103 male riders and an impressive 40 women, which included six junior girls and ten junior boys, so prizes were shared out among the categories to encourage as many riders as possible to take part.
Conditions were very windy with a headwind on the outward leg as well as the return, and with a side wind too it was very cold for both riders and marshals, although thankfully there was no rain.
Allen, 24 and from Wells in Somerset, clocked 20-29 to win by 20 seconds from Jack Brown (ActiveEdge RT), Allen’s time being just four seconds short of the course record.
Behind Allen and Brown was Toby Cowell of Cambridge University CC who clocked 21-18 for third place.
In the women’s category Lewthwaite, the 45-year-old from Leeds who rides for Sportslab, clocked 24-49 to take the win by around a minute and a half from Team Swift’s Mari Mulleady, while third spot went to Harrogate Nova CC’s Corinne Mitchell, just four seconds further back.
The Selby CC trio of Liam Golton, Chris Day and Chris Chittock won the men’s team prize by 2-25 from Otley CC, while in the women’s team category Otley CC were victorious thanks to Eleanor Hunt, Claire Jessop and Helen Goldthorpe.
In the junior categories Jake Stephenson (Triology Multisport Solutions) was fastest with 22.48 to give him the win by 40 seconds from Alex Beldon (Otley CC) with Dexter Leeming-Sykes (Otley CC) third.
And in the junior girls event Eleanor Hunt (Otley CC) was victorious by 1.24 from team-mate Lucy Ellmore, while 13-year-old Emily Middlebrooke (Otley CC) was third. It was the second year in a row Hunt has won the junior girls prize in this event, having just ridden for Yorkshire at the recent Tour of Scotland.
The road bike category was also well supported.
Victory in the men’s event went to Michael Mcgoldrick (Hopey Bicycle Repairs) in 24-39, which was more than three minutes faster than Chris Radcliffe (Otley CC) in second.
And in the women’s road bike event Deborah Stockley (Hopey Bicycle Repairs) clocked 27-40 to win by 31 seconds from Camilla Boyton (Ilkley CC).
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Hayden Allen (THRE Datawolves) 20.29
2. Jack Brown (ActiveEdge RT) 20.49
3. Toby Cowell (Cambridge Univ CC) 21.18
Team: Selby CC (Liam Golton, Chris Day, Chris Chittock) 1.09.08
1. Sarah Lewthwaite (Team Sportslab) 24.49
2. Maria Mulleady (Team Swift) 26.14
3. Corinne Mitchell (Harrogate Nova CC0 26.18
Team: Otley CC (Eleanor Hunt, Claire Jessop, Helen Goldthorpe) 1.23.07
1. Jake Stephenson (Triology Multisport Solutions) 22.48
2. Alex Beldon (Team Bottrill) 23.28
3. Dexter Leeming-Sykes (Otley CC) 23.50
1. Eleanor Hunt (Otley CC) 27.23
2. Lucy Ellmore (Otley CC) 28.47
3. Emily Middlebrooke (Otley CC) 29.17
Road Bikes (Men):
1. Michael Mcgoldrick (Hopey Bicycle Repairs) 24.39
2. Chris Radcliffe (Otley CC) 27.55
3. Paul Knights (Otley CC) 28.28
Road Bikes (Women):
1. Deborah Stockley (Hopey Bicycle Repairs) 27.40
2. Camilla Boyton (Ilkley CC) 28.11
3. Helen Coutie (Otley CC) 28.40