Megan Dickerson and David Janes both set new course records in the Frome & District Wheelers 10-mile time trial in Somerset on Sunday.
Janes, the Wheels of Dorset rider who turned 37 earlier in the week, set a new course record on his way to the top step of the podium.
With numerous wins last year Janes, along with last year’s winner of the event Dan Martin (University of Bath CC), were amongst the favourites but it was Janes who, in spite of slippery track conditions, clocked 19-34 for the record.
Martin finished second but was 49 seconds behind in 20-23. Nick Livermore (Bristol South CC) crossed the line in 20-56 for third as the last man under 21 minutes and in doing so, claimed his best finish in open events since July.
Megan Dickerson (Bristol South CC) got her 2019 campaign off to a flying start with victory in the women’s category with a new record.
With only one win in 2018, Dickerson has already matched that tally and will look to build on a promising start after winning the event in a time of 22-53.
Elsewhere, Bradley Perkins was fastest junior in 24-07 while fourth place overall Rob Pears was quickest veteran on standard.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Jack Cudworth.
1. David Janes (Wheels of Dorset) 19.34
2. Dan Martin (University of Bath CC) 20.23
3. Nick Livermore (Bristol South CC) 20.56
4. Rob Pears (Bath CC) 21.03
5. Jamie Atkins (73Degrees Bicycles) 21.25
=6. Robert Borek (Bristol South CC) 21.52
=6. James Pittard (University of Bath CC) 21.52
8. Steven Cottington (Bath CC) 22.00
9. Martin Aldham (Bath CC) 22.07
10. Oliver Beresford (Velo Club Venta) 22.12
Women: Megan Dickerson (Bristol South CC) 22.53
Junior: Bradley Perkins (PDQ Cycle Coaching) 24.07
Veteran on Std: Rob Pears (Bath CC)