Jessica Rhodes-Jones and Marinus Petersen were fastest female and male riders respectively as Coalville Wheelers staged a 10-mile time trial in Leicestershire on Saturday afternoon.
Rhodes-Jones (AeroCoach) clocked 24-11 for the A10/34 circuit near Osgathorpe, while Loughborough Students CC rider Petersen covered the course in 21-32.
His time was ten seconds quicker than runner-up Hayden Allen (THRE Datawolves RT), while Michael Smith (Raw Sport) was another 30 seconds back in third spot, improving on seventh place last year.
Rhodes-Jones, the 28-year-old Birmingham-based rider who was the runner-up in last season’s Classic Series, was more than a minute clear of the second fastest woman in Charlotte Chapman (Nova Raiders CC), while Sam Toon (Coalville Triathlon Club) was third.
Her time was around two and a half minutes quicker than the time she clocked in the same event 12 months previously, when she was fourth fastest woman.
Petersen was something of a surprise winner of the event, the 20-year-old Cardiff-born rider going off at number ten in a field of 56. But the maths student at Loughborough University has some impressive numbers under his belt, having ridden the R10/17 course in Wales three times in open events last season, with his fastest performance being 20-28 in the Virtual CC 10 back in September.
The riders were welcomed to the event by a breezy but dry day, with no major incident. Although impressive, Petersen’s time was around a minute shy of the course record with conditions not being perfect.
In other categories, fastest veteran was Peak Road Club’s Steve Gibson in fourth place, while the pick of the junior riders was Isaac Russell (Team PB Performance) who wqas 23rd overall with 25-01.
The A10/34 is an anti-clockwise loop along mainly single track roads. Starting north of Griffydam, they head north and over the A42 before turning back south west towards Breedon on the Hill.
They track the A42 southbound before crossing again just before Lount, and heading through Griffydam to a finish north of Osgathorpe.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Marinus Petersen (Loughborough Students CC) 21.32
2. Hayden Allen (THRE Datawolves RT) 21.42
3. Michael Smith (Raw Sport) 22.12
4. Steve Gibson (Peak Road Club) 22.27
5. Daniel Nieto (Loughborough Students CC) 22.34
6. Adrian Lane (Loughborough Students CC) 22.46
7. Will Crudgington (Zoot Athlos RT) 22.47
8. Peter Hitt (Loughborough Students CC) 22.58
9. Andrew Hicklin (Peak Road Club) 23.09
10. Xavier Disley (AeroCoach) 23.18
1. Jessica Rhodes-Jones (AeroCoach) 24.11
2. Charlotte Chapman (Nova Raiders CC) 25.13
3. Sam Toon (Coalville Triathlon Club) 27.04
Veterans: Steve Gibson
Espoirs: Marinus Petersen
Juniors: Isaac Russell (Team PB Performance) 25.01