Ruth Summerford and Simon McNamara were fastest female and male riders respectively in the Brighton Mitre CC 10-mile time trial near Steyning on Bank Holiday Monday.
Eastbourne Rovers CC rider Summerford, 27, clocked 22-25 to defend her victory in the same event 12 months ago. That time gave her the win by 1-16 and was an improvement of 53 seconds on her 2017 time.
There was a tie for second spot, with Jacintha Hamilton-Love (Dulwich Paragon CC) and Jennifer George (Torelli-Beastwear) both covering the course in 23.41.
Fastest overall was Simon McNamara (South Downs Bikes) who was the only person under the 20-minute mark with 19.57 – only the second ever 30mph ride on the G10/97 course.
2010 winner Nick Dwyer (Lewes Wanderers CC) was second and 42 seconds off McNamara’s pace, while Robert Rollings (Lewes Wanderers CC) was third and 2017 winner Mark Smith (Crawley Wheelers) was fourth this time out.
Prolific winner Pat Wright (Paceline RT) had the misfortune of puncturing before the start, and were it not for his two minute late start he would’ve finished second.
The riders were greeted by a beautiful sunny morning with 16 degrees at 0630 with this event starting at 0715 by when the temperature was 20 plus degrees. The course runs south from the Steyning by-pass to just outside Shoreham-by-Sea.
The tandem winning couple included seven months’ pregnant Sarah Phelps, and is the first winning tandem with three people aboard.
Regular visitor Richard Hutt (Harp RC) rode the medium gear 10, then the flat 10 before the hilly 10 to do 30 miles of racing on the day.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Simon McNamara (South Downs Bikes) 19.57
2. Nick Dwyer (Lewes Wanderers CC) 20.39
3. Robert Rollings (Lewes Wanderers CC) 20.49
4. Mark Smith (Crawley Wheelers) 20.53
5. Matt Peel (C and N Cycles RT) 21.27
6. David Clements (Eastbourne Rovers) 21.30
7. James Ayton (Portsmouth North End CC) 21.31
8. Steve Kane (Team ASL) 21.32
9. Richard Gifford (Trainsharp) 21.46
10. Paul Batten (Crawley Wheelers) 22.02
Team: Crawley Wheelers (Mark Smith, Paul Batten, Rupert Robinson 22.23) 1:05.18
1. Richard Hutt (Harp RC) 24.20
2. David French (Weybridge Wheelers) 25.39
3. Mike Marchant (Southdown Velo) 25.58
1. David Pollard (In-Gear Quickvit) 23.17
2. Nick Martin (East Grinstead CC) 23.58
3. Michael Valks (Lewes Wanderers CC) 25.19
1. Ruth Summerford (Eastbourne Rovers CC) 22.25
=2. Jacintha Hamilton-Love (Dulwich Paragon CC) 23.41
=2. Jennifer George (Torelli-Beastwear-Brother) 23.41
1. Mark Emsley/Sarah Phelps (Crawley Wheelers) 24.54
2. Jon Frost/David Eccles (Redmon CC) 27.14
1. David French (Weybridge Wheelers) 24.54
2. David Eccles (Redmon CC) 27.55