Mel Wasley (Epsom CC) and James Rix (Team Bottrill) were fastest female and male respectively at the South Eastern Road Club’s 10-mile time trial in Surrey on Saturday.
Wasley, the 39-year-old from London, covered the G10/42 near North Holmwood in 23-08 to finish as fastest female by more than two minutes, while 43-year-old Rix from Haywards Heath clocked 19-49 to finish first by just three seconds.
Rix left Chris McNamara (Nuun-Sigma Sport) in second spot, while Mark Smith (Crawley Wheelers) was just another seven seconds back in third.
Wasley’s time was 2-07 quicker than women’s runner-up Kate Vergette (Elite Cycling), while Katie Simmonds (Horsham Cycling) was third fastest of the ladies with 25-38.
In the hotly-contested CTT target times category victory went to Colin McDermott (Festival Road Club) with 5-58, just one second better than Mark Smith (Crawley Wheelers), with McNamara third by seven seconds.
The team prize was also worked out on target time, with Crawley Wheelers taking victory in that event thanks to Mark Smith, Iain Duncan and Rupert Robinson who combined for 13-49.
The event was run off in relatively warm and dry conditions with little wind and relatively light traffic.
Triathlete and Ironman competitor Wasley’s win was her first open time trial victory on record for 2019 according to her CTT profile, although it comes after a good 2018 where she was fastest female in the Epsom CC 10 and 25 as well as third in a competitive Utag RT 10.
She is next due to be in action in the Utag RT 10 in early September.
Rix has a string of good performances to his name already in 2019, including victory in the Brighton Excelsior CC 25 and a3crg 15, as well as a speedy time of 47-56 in the Bynea CC 25 back in June.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
James Rix (Team Bottrill) 19.49
2. Chris McNamara (Nuun-Sigma Sport) 19.52
3. Mark Smith (Crawley Wheelers) 19.59
4. Pat Wright (Paceline RT) 20.13
5. Paul Burton (Paceline RT) 20.39
6. Andrew Bradbury (Paceline RT) 20.43
7. Colin McDermott (Festival RC) 21.08
8. Steven Kane (Team ASL) 21.24
9. Dan Pullen (N+1 Lindfield Coffee Works) 21.25
10. David Triska (Team Bottrill) 21.27
1. Colin McDermott (Festival RC) 21.08 (+5.58)
2. Mark Smith (Crawley Wheelers) 19.59 (+5.57)
3. Chris McNamara (Nuun-Sigma Sport) 19.52 (+5.53)
1. Mel Wasley (Epsom CC) 23.08
2. Kate Vergette (Elite Cycling) 25.15
3. Katie Simmonds (Horsham Cycling) 25.38
Team on target time: Crawley Wheelers (Mark Smith, Iain Duncan, Rupert Robinson) +13.59