Ben Stead set a new course record in the Manchester and District TTA 50-mile time trial in Cheshire on Saturday, while Claire Harrison was crowned the Women’s District Champion after being fastest female.
Flooding forced organisers to move the event from the J4/16 at Cranage to the J4/9 on King Street, a course many riders said they preferred. And good conditions greeted all riders, with only a few spells of rain and a still day making for ideal conditions for the event.
Stead (ABC Centreville) clocked 1-47-52 to set a new course record, beating the 1-48-31 previous best set by Ben Norbury a few weeks ago.
Norbury (Congleton CC) had to settle for second this time round with 1-48-45, while the men’s podium was completed by Darren Maironis (Transition RT) who was 1-39 slower than Stead.
Harrison (Pro Vision Cycle Clothing) clocked 2-07-43 to win the Manchester District Women’s 50-Mile Championship by 40 seconds from Emily Martin (Weaver Valley CC), with Naomi Wright (Manchester Tri Club) third, another 44 seconds back.
The men’s team prize went to Velotike Racing Team on the Bidlake method with the fastest third rider for them being Gareth Sanger with 1-56-57, while the women’s team prize was worked out in the conventional way with Weaver Valley CC taking the win with their two riders being Emily Martin and Lynsey Astles with 2-16-52, making for a total of 4-25-15.
In other categories, the fastest veteran on standard was Adrian Hughes with +29.05, while the handicap prize went to Weaver Valley CC’s Carol Robson with 1-25-29 following an allowance of 54-07.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Ben Stead (ABC Centreville) 1:47.52 (course record)
2. Ben Norbury (Congleton CC) 1:48.45
3. Darren Maironis (Transition RT) 1:49.31
4. Alex Royle (Manchester BC) 1:50.04
5. David Williams (Velotik RT) 1:50.40
6. Adrian Hughes (Seamons CC) 1:51.11
7. Gavin McCloskey-Lambert (Manchester Wheelers) 1:51.19
8. Alan Chorley (Seamons CC) 1:51.39
9. Tom Thornely (Buxton CC) 1:51.46
10. Matt Ivings (Buxton CC) 1:52.45
Team (Bidlake): Seamons CC (Tim Marshall 1:59.50)
Veterans on std: Adrian Hughes +29.05
Handicap: Carol Robson (Weaver Valley CC) (54.07) 1:25.29
MDTTA Women’s Championship:
1. Claire Harrison (Pro Vision Cycle Clothing) 2:07.43
2. Emily Martin (Weaver Valley CC) 2:08.23
3. Naomi Wright (Manchester Tri Club) 2:09.07
4. Jill Wilkinson (Chester RC) 2:09.25
5. Joanna Cebrat (Bury Clarion) 2:11.01
6. Liz Batt (Buxton CC) 2:12.08
Team: Weaver Valley CC (Emily Martin, Lynsey Astles 2:16.52) 4:25.15