Claire Harrison topped the women’s category as Ethan Hayter set a new course record despite porous conditions in the weather affected Seamons CC 25 on Saturday afternoon in Cheshire.
Hayter (VC Londres) produced a great ride on the backup J4/8R course amid roadworks on the planned J2/9 course.
The 20-year-old from Stockport battled what organisers called “maybe the wettest time trial of the year” to clock a time of 49-48 and the first ride averaging over 30mph on the course, with the current under-23 National Road Race and former track world champion no doubt using his multi-discipline experience to great effect.
A Team Inspired duo of Ethan Vernon and Rhys Britton completed the podium spots, helping their team to the fastest team prize with a combined time – along with Joe Nally – of 2-37-53.
Individually, Vernon finished second with a time of 51-06 while third-placed Britton clocked a time of 52-22 despite a late start by one minute.
Claire Harrison (Pro Vision Cycle Clothing) traversed the course in 1-02-08 to see her finish as comfortable winner in the women’s category.
Hanna Bruce (Manchester Triathlon Club) finished on the second step of the podium, 54 seconds behind Harrison in her first time trial on record this season.
Bruce also managed second place in the handicapped rankings behind Andy Nichols (B38/Cycles in Motion).
Jane Yianni (Withington Wheelers) was also riding in her first open event on record this season and she too – like Bruce – finished among the major placings, talking third in 1-07-48.
In other categories, Adrian Hughes (Seamons CC) was fastest veteran on standard in a closely run category. He came out on top with a standard time of +13-42.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Jack Cudworth.
1. Ethan Hayter (VC Londres) 49.48
2. Ethan Vernon (Team Inspired) 51.06
3. Rhys Britton (Team Inspired) 52.22
4. Alex Royle (Manchester Bicycle Club) 53.11
5. Ben Norbury (Congleton CC) 53.36
6. Darren Maironis (Transition Race Team) 53.57
7. Andy Nichols (B38/Cycles in Motion) 54.07
8. Joe Nally (Team Inspired) 54.25
9. Alan Chorley (Seamons CC) 54.40
10. Adrian Hughes (54.44
1. Claire Harrison (Pro Vision Cycle Clothing) 1:02.08
2. Hanna Bruce (Manchester Bicycle Club) 1:03.02
3. Jane Yianni (Withington Wheelers) 1:07.48
Veteran on Standard: Adrian Hughes (Seamons CC) +13.42
Handicap Time: Andy Nichols (B38/Cycles in Motion) 7.37