Chris McNamara and Rosamund Bradbury mastered hot conditions to take victory in the Sussex CA 50-mile time trial in West Sussex on Sunday morning.
McNamara, the 43-year-old Nuun-Sigma Sport rider from Worthing, covered the G50/10 course near Dial Post in 1-46-10 to take the win by more than three minutes from his brother Simon McNamara (South Downs Bikes).
Chris’s time was also a new course record, beating the course record by more than two and a half minutes as well as a new event record.
Blazing Saddles rider Howard Bayley was third in the overall competition, while Steve Dennis (East Grinstead CC) took fourth and Dominic Hill (Bec CC) fifth.
Sigma Sports rider Rosamund Bradbury – the sister of JLT Condor professional road rider Ed Bradbury - was fastest female, the 29-year-old clocking 2-08-53 to win by 1-09 from Lewes Wanderers’ Lisa Davis, while Lizzy Brama (Crystal Palace Triathletes) was third.
Davis’s time was also a new Sussex CA 50-mile ladies record.
South Downs Bikes trio of Simon McNamara, Kevin Plummer and Andy Tedd won the team prize with a combined 5-42-22 giving them the win over Worthing Excelsior and setting a new event record for the Sussex CA 50 which was first held at least 80 years ago.
Brighton Mitre CC’s Donald Parker was the fastest veteran on target time with a plus of 27-22, which was 1-25 better than Steve Dennis.
The event took place on a sunny morning with a very light north easterly breeze at the start. But temperatures soon rose dramatically to around 25 degrees at the finish.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Chris McNamara (Nuun-Sigma Sport) 1:46.10
2. Simon McNamara (South Downs Bikes) 1:49.25
3. Howard Bayley (Blazing Saddles) 1:51.32
4. Steve Dennis (East Grinstead CC) 1:53.30
5. Dominic Hill (Bec CC) 1:55.08
6. Kevin Plummer (South Downs Bikes) 1:55.43
7. Steven Kane (Team ASL) 1:56.00
8. Robert Rollings (Lewes Wanderers CC) 1:56.05
9. Gavin Ash (Worthing Excelsior CC) 1:56.27
10. Andy Tedd (South Downs Bikes) 1:57.14
1. Rosamund Bradbury (Sigma Sports) 2:08.53
2. Lisa Davis (Lewes Wanderers CC) 2:10.02
3. Lizzy Brama (Crystal Palace Triathletes) 2:14.40
Veterans on target time: Donald Parker (Brighton Mitre CC) +27.22
Team: South Downs Bikes (Simon McNamara, Kevin Plummer, Andy Tedd) 5:42.22