Ben Stancombe coped with tricky conditions the best at the Ely & District CC 10 on Sunday, winning with a time of 20.39. Wendy Gooding won the women's category.
A strong, unhelpful northerly wind blasted the riders and it was quite chilly as the event started. Another complication was the rather heavy traffic which hampered a number of riders, especially when approaching roundabouts.
However, Stancombe managed to negotiate his way round in style, completing the course in Ely in 20.39. He led home a Team Velovelocity one-two-three. Their second of the weekend with the same riders.
However, Matthew Senter would have finished first and probably have broken Oli Jones’ 20.18 course record set last year had he not been held up by traffic.
Race organisers estimate that this took some 30 seconds off his time. It was a blow for Senter, who won the East District CA 10 on Saturday, breaking the course record.
David Procter finished third, having also finished third in the East District event on Saturday. He was once again quickest veteran, stopping the clock at 21.38.
The women’s prize went to Wendy Gooding, the veteran Team Bottrill Vanguard rider completing in 24.30, quicker than VC Norwich’s Jennifer Smart in 25.28 and King’s Lynn CC’s Kay Burgess in 25.33.
There were good rides by juvenile entrants with Alex Cooper of Suffolk Wheelers quickest in 28.52 and Oscar Bartley of Ely and District CC in 29.26.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Ben Stancombe (Team Velovelocity) 20.39
2. Matthew Senter (Team Velovelocity) 20.44
3. David Procter (Team Velovelocity) 21.38
4. Andy Sewell (Aspire Velo Racing) 21.41
5. Darran Bennett (Ely & District CC) 21.56
6. Steve Cave (Plomers Gate) 21.59
7. martin Reynolds Cambridge CC) 22.12
8. Adrian Pettitt (Stowmarket & District) 22.13
9. Andrew Grant (Cambridge CC) 22.16
10. Simon Daw (Velo Schils Interbike RT) 22.42
1. Wendy Gooding (Team Bottrill Vanguard) 24.30
2. Jennifer Smart (VC Norwich) 25.28
3. Kay Burgess (King’s Lynn CC) 25.33
1. Alex Cooper (West Suffolk Wheelers) 28.52
2. Oscar Barter (Ely & District CC) 29.26