Deb Hutson-Lumb and John Lucock powered through tough conditions to take wins in the North Shropshire Wheelers 25 on Sunday morning.
Torrential rain and testing conditions saw around 40 riders withdraw from the event but perseverance was repaid for John Lucock (Born To Bike) who doubled his win tally to two for the season.
The win for Lucock was even more impressive after organisers said: “tough conditions – it was alright for the first half hour nut it turned really rough later in the day.
“The later riders definitely had the worst of it out there.”
Eventual second-placed rider Arthur Franklin (Portishead CC) set a time of 51-41 earlier in the day and remained atop for some time but Lucock, who set off an hour after Franklin, battled the elements and managed to post a time fractionally ahead in 51-31.
With only three events on CTT record in the year, Franklin’s previous finishes read 1-1-3, adding a second place to that retains an impressive past couple of months for the 32-year-old.
The two were in a class of their own as they were ahead of the field by over three minutes.
Completing the podium was Daniel Watts (Royal Air Force CA) in 55-09.
Deb Hutson-Lumb (Nova Raiders CC) took a sizeable victory as she led the rest of the field by 4-12.
She posted an impressive time of 1-02-53 in the conditions to take her second victory of the year.
The 53-year-old also claimed the veterans on standard prize, going +11.16 better than standard.
Behind her, Rosie Croggan (Beacon Roads CC) and Jenny York (Mid Shropshire Wheelers) finished second and third respectively. Croggan finished with a time of 1-07-05 whilst York did a 1-08-30.
In other categories, Jamie O’Connor (Chester RC) took the junior prize with a time of 59-20 whilst 14-year-old Henri Bedford (Revolutions Racing) was fastest juvenile in 1-08-11.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Jack Cudworth.
1. John Lucock (Born To Bike – Bridgtown Cycles) 51.31
2. Arthur Franklin (Portishead CC) 51.41
3. Daniel Watts (Royal Air Force CA) 55.09
4. Dyfan Evans (Wrexham CC) 55.40
1. Deb Hutson-Lumb (Nova Raiders CC) 1:02.53
2. Rosie Croggan (Beacon Roads CC) 1:07.05
3. Jenny York (Mid Shropshire Wheelers) 1:08.30
Vets on Standard:
1. Deb Hutson-Lumb +11.16
2. Andrew Greenhalgh (Team ASL – Bolton) +10.57
3. Richard Kay (North Shropshire Wheelers) +10.39
Junior: Jamie O’Connor (Chester RC) 59.20
Juvenile: Henri Bedford (Revolutions Racing) 1:08.11