Molly Patch broke the women’s BUCS course record as she powered her way to victory in the British Universities and Colleges Sports National 10-Mile Championship in Cambridgeshire on Saturday, while Matt Langworthy (Imperial College London) was fastest male.
Patch, 22 and from London, clocked 22-05 to take victory by 13 seconds from Anna Morris (University of Southampton), while Hannah Payton finished third to ensure the University of Birmingham took the women’s team prize alongside Patch.
And in the men’s title race, Langworthy clocked 20-00 for the E33/10 course near Bottisham, which gave him the win by just three seconds from joint second-placed riders Will Perrett (Univ of Derby) and John Mulvey (Univ of Cambridge).
Mulvey led the University of Cambridge to the team prize with Sebastian Dickson taking fourth in 20-05 while Felix Barker was sixth overall in 20-12.
Their team time of 1:00.20 was almost four minutes quicker than their closest rivals, while in the women’s team category Patch and Payton’s winning time of 45-05 was just over three minutes quicker than the runners up, University of Cambridge.
The event, promoted by Cambridge University CC, used the B33/10 course which starts to the south of Bottisham village before heading east along the A1303 over the A14 and turning at the junction with the A1304 before retracing.
Being the BUCS title race it attracted 180 entrants from across the country, and despite forecasts for rain the event was greeted with ideal conditions.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Matt Langworthy (Imperial College London) 20.00
=2. Will Perrett (Univ of Derby) 20.03
=2. John Mulvey (Univ of Cambridge) 20.03
1. Univ of Cambridge A (Mulvey, Dickson, Barker) 1:00.20
2. Univ of Derby (Perrett, Baillie, O’Connell) 1:04.05
3. Oxford University (Kerin, Bent, King) 1:04.21
1. Molly Patch (Univ of Birmingham) 22.05
2. Anna Morris (Univ of Southampton) 22.18
3. Hannah Payton (Univ of Birmingham) 23.00
1. Univ of Birmingham (Patch, Payton) 45.05
2. Univ of Cambridge (Atkinson, Bedingfield) 48.07
3. Oxford University A (Davenne, Dodds) 48.39