Dan Bigham (Brother NRG-WattShop) powered to victory in the men’s National 25-Mile Time Trial Championship, taking to seven the number of national titles he has won so far in 2017.
The 25-year-old from Stoke on Trent clocked 45.40 for the R25/3h course in South Wales, giving him the win by 19 seconds from Tim Cartwright (Newbury RC), while defending champion Ryan Perry (Raleigh GAC) had to settle for third spot, a further 12 seconds off the pace.
Despite not placing any riders in the top five, Team Bottrill-HSS Hire trio of Matthew Smith, Stuart Travis and John Dewey won the team prize, clocking 2-21-19 to win by just 24 seconds from Brother NRG.
“I had good legs today, and I was able to ride hard,” said Bigham. “I knew it would be hard out to the turn with a headwind so I rode hard out to make up some time, then I sped back to the finish.
“I paced myself well and was ready for a good hard ride. I won the Hoops three-day stage race last weekend, I won the time trial stage and held the lead from there, so I knew I was going well.”
His focus now switches to the UCI Track World Cup, although Bigham said he will still ride the National 10.
Meanwhile, defending champion Perry said: “Racing has taken a backseat for a while now as I’ve just become a father, but I’ll be back next year and will have more time for time trialling.”
The win adds to Bigham’s existing 2017 national titles in the National 50-mile Championships, the National Circuit Championship and the National Team Time Trial Championship, as well as three titles won on the track in the individual pursuit, the team pursuit and the kilometre.
The R25/3h is based near Rhigos and largely uses the A465 dual carriageway in the picturesque Vale of Neath.
After starting on a minor road near the Hirwaun Industrial Estate, riders turn West and power along through Glynneath and Resolven, before turning at Aberdulais and heading back up to a finish just to the east of Glynneath.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
* A full gallery of images from the Men's National 25-Mile Championships by Kimroy Photography is available to view here
1. Dan Bigham (Brother NRG Wattshop) 45.40
2. Tim Cartwright (Newbury RC) 45.59
3. Ryan Perry (Raleigh GAC) 46.11
4. John Archibald (Pro Vision Cycle Clothing) 46.23
5. Kieron Davies (Drag2zero) 46.38
6. Matthew Smith (Team Bottrill) 46.48
7. Stuart Travis (Team Bottrill) 47.09
8. James Boyman (Hoops Velo) 47.20
9. John Dewey (Team Bottrill) 47.22
10. Chris Bartley (AS Test Team) 47.29
Team: Team Bottrill HSS Hire (Smith, Travis, Dewey) 2:21.19 (comp record)