Angela Radden-Rutt and Chris McNamara were the fastest male and female at the Horsham Cycling 10-mile time trial near Broadbridge Heath, East Sussex, on Saturday morning.
McNamara, the 42-year-old Nuun-Sigma Sport rider from Worthing, clocked 20.08 to take the win by six seconds from Mark Emsley (Team ASL), while Jamie Pine (Nuun-Sigma Sport) was third, 12 seconds slower than team-mate McNamara.
But with no third rider in the event, Nuun-Sigma Sport didn’t win the team prize. That went to In Gear Quickvit Trainsharp trio Pete Tadros, Simon Church and David Pollard.
Radden-Rutt clocked 23.20 to win the women’s prize by 19 seconds from Madelaine Lee-Smith (Oxted CC), while Fabien Large (Direct Power CT) was best junior, his time of 23.17 helping him defend his 2016 victory in the same event.
The event attracted a strong field of 107 riders – their largest field for around ten years – but although the rain stayed away, dark clouds and windy conditions meant that times generally were down on previous performances.
Chris McNamara has already tasted victory this season, having won the Southborough and District Wheelers New Years’ Day 10, while he was second in the South Downs Bikes 21km event in February.
It was the latest in a string of good results for Angela Radden-Rutt, who also secured victories in the Crawley Wheelers 41.6-mile time trial in April as well as the Southern Counties CA 10 back in March.
She was second in the Southern Counties CU 10 last month, as well as third in the Sussex CA 15 two weeks ago.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Chris McNamara (Nuun-Sigma Sport) 20.08
2. Mark Emsley (Team ASL) 20.14
3. Jamie Pine (Nuun-Sigma Sport) 20.20
4. Peter Tadros (In Gear Quickvit) 20.28
1. Angela Radden-Rutt (The Cycleroom) 23.20
2. Madelaine Lee-Smith (Oxted CC) 23.39
3. Jacintha Hamilton Love (Dulwich Paragon) 24.11
Veterans on std:
1. David Pollard (In Gear Quickvit) +7.02
2. Alan Robinson (Central Sussex CC) +6.56
3. Anthony Brown (Horsham Cycling) +6.27
Under-18s: Fabien Large (Direct Power CR) 23.17
Team: In Gear-Quickvit-Trainsharp (Pete Tadros 20.28, Simon Church 21.49, David Pollard 21.55) 1:04.12