Madeleine Scott topped the women’s event as Steven Burke set an early course record in the Southport CC 10-mile event in Lancashire on Saturday.
Former Olympic and World track cycling champion Steven Burke (Wallis Cycles RT) bedded the new D33/10 course in perfectly on his way to his first event win of 2019.
Burke, a former team pursuit specialist with two Olympic golds to his name, became the first man to triumph in an open event on the new course as well as becoming the first person to dip under the 20-minute mark.
The 31-year-old concluded his run in 19-51, comfortably fastest ahead of his competition.
Graham Yardley (Croston Velo) was closest to Burke with a time of 21-17 while Stuart McCormick (Pirate Juice RT) was third in 21-56.
Madeleine Scott (Kuota Synergy RT) was fastest woman after crossing the finish in 23-36, 16 seconds ahead of second placed Lindsey Styler in 23-52. Styler now has four podiums to her name this season.
David Unsworth (Southport CC) was fastest junior in 23-52 while Matthew Foster (Liverpool Braveheart BC), Stuart McCormick, Peter Leonard (Southport CC) and David Smalley (Team Swift) all won veteran ‘standard’ prizes for their respective age categories
The D33/10 is a new course for 2019 with only a handful of club events been hosted on it until this weekend. Initial feedback suggests the course could produce some good times in the right conditions.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Jack Cudworth.
1. Steven Burke (Wallis Cycles RT) 19.51
2. Graham Yardley (Croston Velo) 21.17
3. Stuart McCormick (Pirate Juice RT) 21.56
4. Dan Bigio (Croston Velo) 21.56
1. Madeleine Scott (Kuota Synergy RT) 23.36
2. Lindsey Styler (Croston Velo) 23.52
Junior: David Unsworth (Southport CC) 23.32