Ben Stancombe claimed the men’s prize as Becky Taylor obliterated the women’s course record in the Godric CC 50-mile time trial in Norfolk on Sunday.
Taylor (Wisbech Wheelers) had shown good form with four podiums, the first of which was victory in the Eastern Counties CA 10 in March but with no rides over 25 miles this season a course record run was something of a surprise.
Taylor made the most of the blazing conditions, recording an impressive time of 2-02-51 and shaving over three minutes off her own old record of 2-06-13 which was set last year.
In the men’s category, Ben Stancombe (Team Velovelocity) was dominant in his victory and reportedly also broke the men's course record. The 29-year-old clocked 1-45-20 over the 50-mile sporting course, sealing a hat-trick of wins in 2019.
Stancombe finished just under eight minutes ahead of second place – good practice ahead of the National 50-mile Championship at the end of the month, which Stancombe has entered.
John Bradbury (CC Sudbury) equalled his highest placing of the season so far in second place as well as taking the veterans prize on Sunday.
Bradbury’s time of 1-53-18 was comfortably ahead of third-placed Phil Marler from the host Godric CC who had a time of 1-57-31.
The B50/19 course is a true sporting course with long, gradual climbs where riders must conserve energy before sharp inclines but the risk is shown reward with equally long and sharp descents that riders will no doubt enjoy in the sweltering conditions.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Jack Cudworth.
1. Ben Stancombe (Team Velovelocity) 1:45.20
2. John Bradbury (CC Sudbury) 1:53.18
3. Phil Marler (Godric CC) 1:57.31
4. Paul Vickers (West Suffolk Wheelers) 1:58.24
5. Phil Watkins (North Norfolk Wheelers) 2:01.41
6. Nathan Risbey (Tri-Anglian Triathlon Club) 2:02.06
7. Becky Taylor (Wisbech Wheelers) 2:02.51 (women’s course record)
8. James Rush (CC Sudbury) 2:04.20
9. Paul Rooke (West Suffolk Wheelers) 2:06.40
10. Julian Claxton (Great Yarmouth CC) 2:06.43
Women: Becky Taylor