If you have a map of this course, please email email@example.com
Nikki Metcalfe took the women’s victory as Keith Murray claimed his second win of the weekend in the Stockton Wheelers CC 23-mile event on Sunday.
Murray (Drag2Zero) managed to take the win despite the 44-year-old crashing in the final mile and limping across the line.
The Darlington-based rider was last rider off, eventually needing to beat Michael Smart’s time of 53-13. Despite his crash, he still managed a time of 52-34, giving him a 39 second victory.
The man he had to beat, Smart (TS Racing Team) held onto second with his time, equalling his best of the season so far. And in third, Glen Turnbull (Harrogate Nova CC) captured his best time in open event records for over a year. Turnbull crossed the line in 53-39.
Nikki Metcalfe’s (Team Boompods) win will come as a welcome sight and confidence boost progressing into the season.
It was third time lucky for Metcalfe with the 46-year-old coming off the back of a tenth place in her last outing and finishing second in her first of the season.
The win was convincing too, covering the distance in 1-09-26, just under three minutes ahead of Caroline Ratcliffe (Ferryhill Wheelers) in second who posted a 1-12-12.
Son of scratch race winner Keith, 16-year-old Sam Murray (Drag2Zero) headed the junior/juvenile categories with an impressive ride of 54-51, giving the youngster an overall fourth place.
The previous day, Sam and Keith had teamed up to take the win in the Darlington CC two-up 10 at East Cowton (see separate event report for more on that).
Team prize winners were Cleveland Wheelers as the trio of Richard Lilleker, Neal Archer and John Main clocked a combined 2-57-59 ahead of Stockton Wheelers’ 3-14-54.
There was also a road bike category, with victory in that going to Chris Sleath (MTS Cycle Sport) in 56-00, while fastest woman was Emel Bagdatlioglu (Stockton Wheelers) in 1-08-08.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Jack Cudworth.
1. Keith Murray (Drag2Zero) 52.34
2. Michael Smart (TS Racing Team) 53.13
3. Glen Turnbull (Harrogate Nova CC) 53.59
4. Sam Murray (Drag2Zero) 54.41
5. David Nearney (South Shields Velo CC) 55.03
6. Marcel Schubert (Darlington CC) 55.04
7. Mark Hansom (AIMS Cycling) 55.18
8. Paul Thirling (Hartlepool CC) 55.43
9. Richard Lilleker (Cleveland Wheelers CC) 55.48
10. Stephen Belbin (AIMS Cycling) 56.23
1. Nikki Metcalfe (Team Boompods) 1:09.26
2. Caroline Ratcliff (Ferryhill Wheelers) 1:12.12
Juvenile/Junior: Sam Murray (Drag2Zero) 54.51