Nicholas Fennell (Thanet RC) took advantage of his brother’s absence to clinch victory by over a minute in the Medway Velo Club 50, while Tracy Wilkinson-Begg (Folkestone Velo) won the women’s event by two minutes.
Christopher Fennell (The Independent Pedaler), was due off as scratch rider, but missed the event due to illness.
His brother had no such trouble and stormed around the Q50/11 course in a winning time of one hour, 46 minutes and seven seconds.
The high winds from the previous day died down on the Q50/11 course leading to some fast times, with only a stiff breeze on Romney Marsh for competitors to battle against.
Starting south of Ashford riders travelled down the A20 before turning left towards Rye and completed two laps of a loop before returning up the A20 for the finish.
Fennell finished second on the same course in the VTTA 50, clocking 1:48.21 on that occasion.
In kinder conditions he took a clear victory on this occasion with leading veteran on scratch and standard Andrew Meilak (VeloRefined.com Aerosmiths) taking second in 1:47.05.
Meanwhile fellow veteran rider Nick Wilson (Rye & District Wheelers CC) used his local knowledge to take third in 1:50.59.
Espoir rider Joshua Clarke (Royal Navy & Royal Marines CA) was beaten into fourth by his more experienced competitors, clocking 1:51.42.
Veteran rider Wilkinson-Begg took the women’s category victory in a time of 2:19.00.
The 53-year-old who finished fourth in the VTTA 10 Kent Women’s Championship last month showed her experience over the longer distance to win in 2:19.00, finishing exactly two minutes ahead of Debbie Percival (Kent Velo Girls).
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Nicholas Fennell (Thanet RC) 1:46.07
2. Andrew Meilak (VeloRefined.com Aerosmiths) 1:47.05
3. Nick Wilson (Rye & District Wheelers CC) 1:50.59
4. Joshua Clarke (Royal Navy & Royal Marines CA) 1:51.42
5. Dean Chiddention (Abellio - SFA Racing Team) 1:52.02
6. Tom Hilder (trainSharp) 1:53.54
7. Steve Gooch (Rye & District Wheelers CC) 1:54.27
8. Sam Fuller (7Oaks Tri Club) 1:54.39
9. Stephen Wilkinson (Folkestone Velo Club) 1:54.50
10. Mark Hill (VeloRefined.com Aerosmiths) 1:55.04
Veteran on standard:
1. Andy Meliak (Velorefined) +33.35
2. Nick Wilson (Rye & District Wheelers CC) +31.00
3. Steve Gooch (Rye & District Wheelers CC) +26.13
Women: Tracy Wilkinson-Begg (Folkestone Velo) 2:19.00
Espoir: Joshua Clarke (Royal Navy & Royal Marines CA) 1:51.42