Victory went to Laurence Manning and Gemma Hobson as Brighton Mitre CC staged a 10-mile time trial in West Sussex on Easter Saturday.
A time of 23-02 was good enough for the win 33-year-old Manning, the Thames Velo rider from Henley. He was 39 seconds quicker than the runner-up Sam Christy (London Velo) who was also the fastest on a road bike.
Third spot went to Mark Perry (Look Mum no Hands) with 23-48 while the winning woman was Gemma Hobson, the 39-year-old from Keymer in West Sussex who covered the challenging G10/44 course in 30.33.
A pre-race shower cleared up and left the riders with mainly dry efforts and in temperatures of 9-10 degrees.
The course takes riders from the start to the north of Kirdford, then heads south west towards Petworth, where it bears left and heads up the A272 north east to a finish at Wisborough Green.
The first four miles of the course are on lanes typical of the area, plenty of pot holes to keep riders eyes fixed on the tarmac and not the scenery. Although most riders stayed dry during the race the previous day’s showers had left debris on the roads which caused four punctures.
Three teams were due to battle it out for the team prize, but all of them failed to finish three riders and therefore the team prize was not presented this time.
After his winning efforts in this Brighton Mitre time trial, Manning is next due to be in action in the East Sussex CA 10 on April 21, and has also entered next month’s High Wycombe CC 25.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Laurence Manning (Thames Velo) 23.02
2. Sam Christy (London Velo) 23.41
3. Mark Perry (Look Mum No Hands) 23.48
4. Keith Lea (Paceline RT) 23.55
5. Ian Paine (London Dynamo) 24.15
6. James Griffin (Trainsharp) 25.18
7. Joshua Monk (URDT) 25.35
8. Steve Morgan (Tooting BC) 25.49
9. Jon Fry (Horsham CC) 26.12
10. Gavin Hughes (Kingston Phoenix RC) 26.49
Women: Gemma Hobson (Sussex Nomads CC) 30.33
Road Bikes: Sam Christy (London Dynamo) 23.41