If you have a map of this course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Team Swift pair of Gemma Frost and Lewis Timmins finish top man and woman in the South Shields Velo CC 50-mile event on Sunday.
Lewis Timmins bounced back after a fourth place in last week’s GS Metro 18-mile time trial to record a win in his home county.
Timmins produced a time of 1-48-55 to take victory by just over a minute ahead of 22-year-old Thomas Hutchinson (Tyneside Vagabonds CC).
Hutchinson halted the timekeeper’s watch on 1-49-56 to claim a comfortable second place – one step better than last weekend’s third place in the GS Metro event Timmins had appeared in.
Phil Hall (Breeze Bikes RT) capped off the podium spots and added to his three podiums of 2018 already with a time of 1-53-40.
“I was obviously going out to try to win today but I knew that it would be close with Tom as he did a quick 10 the other week and a quick 25 on Thursday just gone,” said Timmins.
“I was a bit unsure how to pace it but think I got it right today. The course can be a bit confusing as there’s lots to contend with and I’m grateful that I got a good shout from the marshal before the last turn which kept me on course.
“I’m riding a new TT bike which I’ve been tweaking over the last week or so and I feel really comfortable on it now. I’m really happy to secure the win and be the 50M TT Champ for our region.”
Gemma Frost made it into double figures in wins with the 2-05-12 ride, and what better way to do it than with her partner, Timmins, sharing the podium.
Frost blazed her way around the 50-mile circuit in the North East and managed to finish an impressive 12-53 up on second placed Gemma Hutchins (Blaydon CC) who clocked a 2-18-05.
Claire Cook (Muckle CC) was third placed woman after clocking a time of 2-19-58.
“My ride didn’t go to plan!” said Frost. “I’ve not ridden this course before and I found it really tough towards the back end of the course.
“My PB last season for a 50M TT was 1:59 so I was aiming for that, so I’m a bit disappointed with my time, but obviously happy to take the Ladies win and be our 50M TT Ladies champ. I needed to complete today for our local BAR competition, and delighted to finish with maximum points.”
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Jack Cudworth.
1. Lewis Timmins (Team Swift) 1:48.55
2. Thomas Hutchinson (Tyneside Vagabonds CC) 1:49.56
3. Phil Hall (Breeze Bikes RT) 1:53.40
4. Daniel Nieto (Wigmore CC) 1:55.49
5. Ben Lane (GS Metro) 1:55.56
6. Steven Craggs (Blaydon CC) 1:56.25
7. Harry Walker (Revolver Racing) 1:56.58
8. Ian Norris (Blumilk.com) 1:57.29
9. Julian Macbride (Blaydon CC) 1:57.42
10. Neville Martin (GS Metro) 1:58.53
1. Gemma Frost (Team Swift) 2:05.12
2. Gemma Hutchins (Blaydon CC) 2:18.05
3. Claire Cook (Muckle CC) 2:19.58
Veteran: Phil Hall