Andy Cunningham (Ilkley CC) set a new course record on Saturday at the Beacon Wheelers Open Hill Climb at Great Dunn Fell. Cunningham set a time of 23-03 to beat the record on a course that was described by the organisers as ‘probably the hardest hill climb in the country’.
Cunningham was also victorious last weekend at the Border City Wheelers Hill climb; he has continued his form from last year where he secured a number of victories over the hill climbing season.
Patrick Clark (Team B38-Underpin Racing) secured the second spot on the podium finishing with a time of 24-05. Clark was last victorious at the Rutland CC hill climb last season and this is his first podium finish of the year.
Mick Jones also finished with a time under the 25-minute mark. He finished with a time of 24-33 just five seconds ahead of the man in forth.
Jones adds this podium finish to the second place finish he achieved last weekend at the Border City Wheelers hill climb.
The fastest woman was Alexandra Kendall-Smith (Crimson Performance RT), who finished the event with a time of 33-01.
The 24-year-old has begun her hill climb season well after securing a second place finish last weekend at the East Lancashire RC hill climb.
Event organisers described the event as producing some truly exceptional times with the first five all achieving times of under 25 minutes. Weather conditions were kind to the riders and allowed for fast times to be set.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Ben Gretton.
1. Andy Cunningham (Ilkley CC) 23.03
2. Patrick Clark (Team B38-Underpin Racing) 24.05
3. Mick Jones (GS Metro) 24.33
4. Rick Bailey (Team B38-Underpin Racing) 24.39
5. Matt Moorhouse (Preston CC) 24.56
6. Kieran Wynne-Cattanach (Team B38-Underpin Racing) 25.12
7. Arne Beswick (Buxton CC) 25.14
8. Jon Saunders (Charlotteville CC) 25.48
9. Andy Richardson (Muckle CC) 26.03
10. Niall Paterson (Velo Club Cumbria) 26.30
1. Alexandra Kendall-Smith (Crimson Performance RT) 33.01
2. Susan Paterson (Velo Club Cumbria) 34.24
3. Catherine Scott (Beacon Wheelers) 35.14