Katie Lukas and Andy Cunningham started their hill climb season with victory in the Border City Wheelers hill-climb in Hartside on Sunday morning.
Cunningham (Ilkley CC) dominated the 5.3-mile course, setting a time of 16-41 to clinch first place.
The 29-year-old rider has continued his good form from last season to this, after claiming numerous victories last year. Most notably he won the Huddersfield RC and the North Lancashire RC hill climbs in 2017 and has begun this season with victory in Cumbria.
Second place was claimed by Mick Jones (GS Metro) who clocked a time of 17-46. This was the 39-year-old’s first event of the season and he will be hoping to continue to produce good results over the course of the hill climb campaign.
The final spot on the podium was claimed by Olli Dawson (Border City Wheelers) who finished his run with a time of 17-53. The home club rider finished in the same position last year at the event and had an advantage of 28 seconds over the rider in fourth position.
Katie Lukas (Beacon Wheelers) finished her run with a time of 25-32 to be the fastest woman.
Lukas has been in fine form throughout the time trialling season, claiming a number of victories throughout the year. Most recently she finished top of the podium at the Border City Wheelers CC 10 at the end of August. She also claimed victory in the Wigan Wheelers 10 in August as well.
She has now carried her good form in to the hill climbing season clinching her first victory of the year.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Ben Gretton.
1. Andy Cunningham (Ilkley CC) 16.41
2. Mick Jones (GS Metro) 17.46
3. Olli Dawson (Border City Wheelers) 17.53
4. Andrew Newby (Veloviewer) 18.21
5. Zak Walker (Honister 92) 18.25
6. Nick Badcock (Allen Valley Velo) 18.57
7. Richard Bickley (Border City Wheelers) 19.05
8. Niall Paterson (VC Cumbria) 19.06
9. David Hill (VC Cumbria) 20.49
10. Emil Petrov (Border City Wheelers) 20.56
Women: Katie Lukas (Beacon Wheelers) 25.32