Hayley Simmonds broke the 29-year-old course record time for the S20 course with a sensation ride at stage one of the Mid Devon CC hill-climb event on Saturday morning.
Simmonds (Team WNT Pro Cycling) had not ridden a hill-climb since 2015 but she ensured a qualifying time for October’s national championships in imperious fashion.
The 2017 National time-trial champion over 10 and 25 miles stopped the clock in 15:02.4 to take victory and fifth place overall, but also take a whopping two minutes 15 seconds off the course record set by Jayne Powall in 1988.
Despite not being a regular on the hill-climbing scene, the 29-year-old from Cambridgeshire must surely be considered one of favourites to take the national crown in Northumberland.
Joanne Jago (Performance Cycles) was second in 17:04.7, a time that would also have beaten the previous women’s course record, with Ruth Burrows (Mid Devon CC) took third.
There was more success for hosting club Mid Devon CC as their riders locked out the top two spots in the overall standings after a tight battle.
Nineteen-year-old Ashley Towey claimed the victory in 14:14.4, just nine tenths of a second quicker than junior Rhys Evans who was second.
Towey was also the winner on the S20 course in last year’s event but this year saw him improve on his 2016 winning time by in excess of 45 seconds.
Joe Norledge (Bristol South CC) completed the podium in the first race of the day in 14:18.3, whilst Lee Sanderson (Mid Devon CC) was the fastest veteran, breaking the top ten in 15:56.5.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Ashley Towey (Mid Devon CC) 14:14.4
2. Rhys Evans (Mid Devon CC) 14:15.3
3. Joe Norledge (Bristol South CC) 14:18.3
4. Josh Coyne (Okehampton CC) 14:33.5
5. Hayley Simmonds (Team WNT Pro Cycling) 15:02.4
6. Daniel Alford (Bristol South CC) 15:24.2
7. John Hunt (Beacon Roads CC) 15:25.3
8. Reuben Bakker-Dyos (BikeRadar) 15:31.2
9. Lee Sanderson (Mid Devon CC) 15:56.5
10. Jack Luke (BikeRadar) 16:29.5
Women: Hayley Simmonds
Junior: Rhys Evans