Alice Lethbridge and David Ross were amongst the winners as Kingston Wheelers hosted their hill climb event on Saturday.
The Leith Hill Lane course in Forest Green, Sussex, measures 1570 yards and there were 31 riders in action.
It was prolific time-trialler and reigning National 12-hour champion and competition record holder Lethbridge (Drag2Zero) that claimed the women’s prize with another strong performance, proving once again she can master distances both long and short.
The 32-year-old from Surrey was in strong form, stopping the clock in 4:31.3 to claim victory and 14th place overall.
This is Drag2Zero rider Lethbridge’s second hill climb this month after triumph at the Lovelo Cinelli event a fortnight ago, and may be looking to mount a challenge at the national championships later in October.
Jennifer Andrews (CC Ashwell) and veteran Debbie Percival (34 Nomads CC) were second and third respectively, Andrews ahead by just a tenth of a second in 5:24.6.
In the men’s competition, it was David Ross (LFGSS CC) that claimed victory by 2.7 seconds, clocking a winning time of 3:48.4.
Ross was the last man to set off and that time took the winner after what had been a very tight battle at the top, the next three riders separated by just two tenths of a second.
Ross’ effort saw Joshua Aiken (Pedal Power Cycles Ipswich) pushed into second in 3:51.1 with host club rider Mark Aldred having to settle for third .1 second behind.
Bill Bell (Bigfoot CC) missed out on the podium altogether but he was the day’s fastest veteran whilst Lewis Winfield (VC Londres) strong showing of 4:07.9 saw him claim seventh place as well as fastest junior.
Hosting club Kingston Wheelers had the day’s best team, Aldred, joined by Alex Reid and Noel Baker, were the top trio after they all placed inside the top nine.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. David Ross (LFGSS CC) 3:48.4
2. Joshua Aiken (Pedal Power Cycles Ipswich) 3:51.1
3. Mark Aldred (Kingston Wheelers) 3:51.2
4. Bill Bell (Bigfoot CC) 3:51.3
5. Alex Reid (Kingston Wheelers) 3:55.1
6. Tom Fricker (Farnham RC) 4:05.4
7. Lewis Winfield (VC Londres) 4:07.9
8. Joshua Monk (The Cycleroom) 4:08.8
9. Noel Baker (Kingston Wheelers) 4:14.5
10. Oliver Hassall (Kingston Wheelers) 4:19.7
Women: Alice Lethbridge (Drag2Zero) 4:31.3
Junior: Lewis Winfield
Veteran: Bill Bell