JLT Condor pro Steve Lampier and talented espoir Henrietta Colborne were victorious at the Border City Wheelers 10-mile time trial, staged on the L1021 which uses the A66 from near Bassenthwaite Lake to Cockermouth and back.
Lampier, 33 and from Barnoldswick in Lancashire, clocked 20.02 to take the win by just one second from Tom Rigby (Springfield Financial RT), while third spot went to veteran Stephen Irwin (North Lancs RC) who was 18 seconds off Lampier’s pace.
Meanwhile, fastest female was CTT scholarship recipient Hanrietta Colborne (Swabo Ladies), who clocked 23.25 to take the win by almost a minute just a week after completing the tour UCI-ranked Tour du Feminin in the Czech Republic.
It was Lampier’s first open time trial appearance, and came just a few hours before he was due to ride the Stockton Grand Prix in the National Series. A prolific road racer, Lampier has already ridden the National Road Race Championships this year, and placed seventh in the Beaumont Trophy, while he won the elite category Drummond Trophy in Scotland in April.
Colborne was first junior female at the National Closed Circuit Championships at Thruxton in October, and has been concentrating on racing abroad since then with the Border City Wheelers being her first open time trial on the year on UK shores.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Steve Lampier (JLT Condor) 20.02
2. Tom Rigby (Springfield Financial RT) 20.03
3. Stephen Irwin (North Lancs RC) 20.20
4. Jon Sturman (Blumilk.com) 21.38
5. Craig Horseman (Rock to Roll CC) 21.45
6. Dan Taylor (Birdwell Wheelers) 21.52
7. Matthew Atkinson (VC Cumbria) 22.15
8. Patrick Pennefather (Border City Wh) 22.33
9. Howard Cain (Border City Wh) 22.48
10. Cameron Scade (Dumfries CC) 22.53
Women: Henrietta Colborne (Swabo Ladies) 23.25
Veterans: Stephen Irwin
Juniors: Harry Nolan (Trainsharp) 22.56