Stuart Travis powered to a comfortable victory in the senior race at the Hemel Hempstead CC 25 with Kristin Stolpe taking the women’s prize on Sunday morning.
Travis (Team Bottrill/HSS Hire) was the last rider to get under way, with host club man Ben Stowe having set the time to beat at 51.51 for the 25-mile course mostly along Aylesbury Road.
The 32-year-old from Coventry put in a strong display though to take a sizable victory, stopping the clock at 50.28 for a winning margin of over a minute and 20 seconds and a new course record.
Travis has been in good form in 2017, with podium finishes in both the national team time trial and national circuit championships in the last two weekends to add to earlier individual successes at the Walsall RCC and Royal Sutton CC 10-mile events to name but a few.
“It’s the age-old time triallers excuse I guess, but I was pretty tired going into today,” Travis said after victory, I had to measure my effort and not go too hard too early.
“I know the course after riding it last year and it’s a rough single carriageway. I got to the turn quicker than expected and thought it would be a tough coming back.”
Travis did not struggle in the second half though, and his time of 50.21 beat the existing course record by exactly 40 seconds that was set back in 2008.
On his recent form, Travis has been surprised with how well his first full season has been going.
“I’m gobsmacked, after the bronze at the circuit championships and I think seven open time trial wins this year, I never expected to be up there so soon.
Travis now hopes for a good ride in the National 25 Championships before heading off to Albi in France for the UCI Amateur World Time Trial in August.
“I had a good result at the Tour of Cambridge qualifier winning my age group by a minute so it would be daft not to take up my ride, but I don’t want to put too much pressure on myself and I will use it as a benchmark for next season.
“I also want to say how important the team have been to me, they have been fantastic. I have been coached by Dan Barnett since the end of last year and the support he and they team give makes all the difference,” he added.
It was Stowe who had to settle for second place in the end with Luke Clarke (TMG Horizon Cycling Team) completing the top three a further 52 seconds back.
Mark Avil (Baines Racing Silverstone) put in a strong display to claim the veterans prize, posting a time of 56.21 to finish seventh overall, a ride which was 12.58 inside the standard time.
Kristin Stolpe (Lovelo Cinelli RT) claimed victory in the women’s competition, taking the top prize in a time of 1:02.39.
Stolpe, 34 and from Berkhamstead, was almost three minutes inside her nearest rival Zoe Adams (Hemel Hempstead CC) who was second.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Stuart Travis Team Bottrill / HSS Hire 50:28
2. Ben Stowe Hemel Hempstead CC 51:51
3. Luke Clarke TMG Horizon Cycling Team 52:43
4. Josh Crow-Stewart Hemel Hempstead CC 53:04
5. James Richardson North Bucks RC 53:06
6. Todd Hooper Onyx RT 56:12
7. Mark Avil Baines Racing Silverstone Cycle 56:21
8. Steve Torley Team Milton Keynes 57:50
9. Michael Parker TMG Horizon Cycling Team 58:02
10. Nick Clarke Lovelo Cinelli RT 58:07
=11. James Barlow Didcot Phoenix CC 58:13
=11. Mark Constable CC Ashwell 58:13
13. Glenn Longland Antelope Racing Team 58:34
14. Andrew Bradley Hemel Hempstead CC 58:48
15. Richard Hutt Harp RC 59:14
16. Craig Harper Verulam CC 59:28
17. Dave Johnson VC 10 59:33
18. Carl Adams Team Bottrill / HSS Hire 59:57
19. Robert Taylor Echelon Cycling 1:00:08
20. Richard Boley Hemel Hempstead CC 1:00:40
21. Mark Harris Team Trident 1:00:52
22. Trevor Hook Team Milton Keynes 1:01:22
23. Jonathan Peters Team Milton Keynes 1:01:50
24. Kristin Stolpe Lovelo Cinelli RT 1:02:39
25. Chris Symonds North Road CC 1:02:46
26. Desmond Gayler Kenton RC 1:03:03
27. Richard Moule Bossard Whs 1:03:45
28. Zoe Adams Hemel Hempstead CC 1:05:38
29. Nigel Swift Verulam CC 1:06:07
30. Christine Pout Verulam Really Moving 1:08:00
31. Keith Richardson Mildenhall CC 1:12:03
32. Mark Pankhurst Hemel Hempstead CC 1:12:38
33. Trevor Watson Bossard Whs 1:18:06
34. Bruno Cabrelli Hemel Hempstead CC 1:21:43