Matt Smith (Team Bottrill-HSS Hire) mastered testing conditions to win the Norlond TT Combine 50-mile time trial, staged on the F1b/50 course near Tempsford in Bedfordshire on Sunday.
Smith, 39 and from Newmarket, clocked 1-39-57 to win by five minutes from team-mate David Langlands, while last year’s winner Andy Jackson (SSLL Racing Team) had to be content with third this time.
Heavy rain early in the event caused problems with spray and a wet surface, and led to many non-starters or non-finishers.
But those who stuck at it and continued saw conditions get gradually better, although a change in the direction of the wind did little to help riders with a headwind out on the way to Norton roundabout turning into crosswinds on the way back.
Second last year to Jackson, Smith went almost four minutes quicker than 12 months previously, while Jackson was almost three minutes slower than his time from 2016.
The only woman to tackle the testing conditions was Leanne Cutler (Hitchin Nomads) and she was rewarded with a time of 2-19-51.
In-form Smith has a growing list of good 2017 performances. He won the Lea Valley CC 10 and was second in the Lea Valley CC 25, but his performance in the Norlond TT Combine event is his first 50-mile ride of the year so far.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. Photo by Fergus Muir.
1. Matt Smith (Team Bottrill-HSS Hire) 1:39.57
2. David Langlands (Team Bottrill) 1:44.58
3. Andy Jackson (SLL Racing Team) 1:47.01
4. Michael Broadwith (Arctic Tacx RT) 1:48.02
5. Leigh Smith (JCA Equipe Velo) 1:51.20
6. Nick Clarke (Lovello Cinelli RT) 1:55.41
7. Barry Connolly (Team Milton Keynes) 1:55.57
8. Michael Briars (Finsbury Park CC) 1:57.04
9. John Lacey (Hemel Hempstead CC) 1:57.28
10. Neil Wood (Dig Deep Coaching) 1:58.16
Women: Leanne Cutler (Hitchin Nomads) 2:19.51