Veteran Phil Hall put in an impressive victory to claim victory in the Houghton CC 10-mile event in County Durham on Sunday.
The 43-year-old from Amble, Northumberland, has just missed out on the top three on a number of occasions this year, including fourth place finishes at the Cramlington CC 18 and North Tyneside 27 in consecutive weekends.
On the fairly flat course at Quarrington Hill, the Breeze Bikes RT rider was 20th to set off, and set a benchmark time of 21.43.
As the morning progressed, challenges came and when last rider off, Kris Atkin (Team Bottrill/HSS Hire) crossed the line with a time of 22.06, victory was secured.
Atkin’s time was good enough to claim second place, following up from his second-place finish at the Otley CC 10 last weekend for Team Bottrill/HSS Hire.
Ross Walton (Blaydon CC) just missed out on the top three at Saturday’s Wansbeck CC 21, but went one better on Sunday when his time of 22.18 secured him third place.
The best result for host club Houghton CC was recorded by Matthew Webb, a time of 23.20 good enough for seventh place.
In a small field, the pick of the female riders was Kerry Gowland, the Team Bottrill/HSS Hire rider from Durham finished 24th overall in a time of 26.41.
This result came after Gowland was also the fastest woman just 24 hours earlier at the Hartlepool CC 10-mile event in Sedgefield.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Phil Hall (Breeze Bikes RT) 21.43
2. Kris Atkin (Team Bottrill/HSS Hire) 22.06
3. Ross Walton (Blaydon CC) 22.18
4. Michael Sloanes (Blumilk.com) 22.22
5. Nev Martin (GS Metro) 22.36
6. Justin Ramel (Blaydon CC) 22.52
7. Matthew Webb (Houghton CC) 23.20
8. Colin Humphrey (Muckle Cycle Club) 23.34
9. Kevin Hall (Sunderland Clarion) 23.43
10. Christopher Beaty (Allen Valley Velo) 23.55
Women: Kerry Gowland (Team Bottrill/HSS Hire) 26.41