Richard Cartland won the Sussex CA hill-climb at the 1,704 yard Steyning Bostal course on Saturday morning.
The competition was hit with torrential rain and water running down the hill, so the course record of 3-50 was never under threat.
However, the Team Boardman rider clocked a respectable time of 4:25.3 for a two second winning margin to take the top prize.
Gareth Thyer (Brighton Mitre CC) claimed second place, with Tom Fricker (Farnham CC) a further 16 seconds adrift to complete the top three.
Nick Martin of East Grinstead CC clocked a strong 4:46.6, to claim a top five finish as well as the prize for fastest junior.
Christopher Putnam and John McGrath, both of Worthing Excelsior were the veterans on standard in the top ten, with McGrath’s factored time earning him the top prize in the category.
Even more success for Putnam and McGrath, the duo was joined by Mike O’Gorman to take the medal in the team competition.
Tamar Vanderhaas was the leading woman in the field, the Lewes Wanderers rider stopping the clock in 6:10.3, four seconds ahead of nearest rival Gemma Hobson (Sussex Nomads).
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Richard Cartland (Team Boardman) 4:25.3
2. Gareth Thyer (Brighton Mitre CC) 4:27.3
3. Tom Fricker (Farnham RC) 4:43.3
4. Callum Middleton (Lewes Wanderers CC) 4:44.0
5. Nick Martin (East Grinstead CC) 4.46.6
6. Steven Kane (Brighton Excelsior CC) 4:53.7
7. Daniel Pink (Bigfoot CC) 4:53.8
8. James Scrivener (Reading CC) 5:16.7
9. Christopher Putnam (Worthing Excelsior CC) 5:17.1
10. John McGrath (Worthing Excelsior CC) 5:17.7
Woman: Tamar Vanderhaas (Lewes Wanderers) 6:10.3
Junior: Nick Martin (East Grinstead CC)
Vet on standard: John McGrath (Worthing Excelsior CC) + 12.3
Team: Worthing Excelsior CC (Christopher Putnam, John McGrath, Mike O’Gorman) 16:53.5